Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sea Urchin!!!

sea urchin

Some time back, my friends & I popped by Pasta Café for dinner.

It is a nice restaurant located at the basement of Takashimaya.

From the classy menu, I ordered a 1+1+1 combo set which consists of Lobster Salad + Spaghetti in Uni sauce + Beef Gratin (baked rice with melted cheese crust. All for $22.90+.

The word “UNI” means sea urchin and the server warned that the dish might taste rather fishy.

Curious, I went ahead.

The food arrived shortly… While I was focusing on the Beef Gratin, my friend Sharlyn tried the “talked-about” Spaghetti in Uni sauce, only to return a wrinkled & pathetic look on her face.

Is it really that bad?

My turn to try…

Before putting it into my mouth, I can already smell its PUNGENT “aroma” from a distance!

I nearly wanted to spit it out as soon as the spaghetti met my taste buds. But restraining from doing so, I forced the portion down my throat.

The taste is EXTREMELY fishy and until now, I can still remember this DISTINCTIVE taste in my mouth!

I gave up after TWO bites!

remains

(L- Spag in Uni sauce (seems untouched), R- Beef Gratin (Finished!)

I did a little study about sea urchin and found out that these small, globular spiny sea creatures are pretty popular in Japan and Italy!
In fact, most are carefully harvested to served as a delicacy!
Many others love to eat it FRESH from the sea!

DSC01514

Perhaps, you are wondering… How to eat the sea urchin?

Well… These spiny little balls are cracked open and served belly up.

1254602607_751656086d

1255463572_0e3c6f1c9d
Next, scrape up these orange, sea-perfumed stuff with a spoon and bite!
adventuresinitaly-seaurchin

A video clip on the the actual opening…!



Here is Uni sushi…

UniSeaUrchin

Let me end off with a video on two men eating Uni sushi.



Go try it yourself and share with me your comments!

Lian>> You like Japanese food right?


2 comments:

Jin Lian said...

HAHA! But i don't like food that taste and had fishy smell...so i don't think i will ever try the Uni Sushi!

Joanne Toh said...

Lian... You must try!!!